Holistic Veterinary Care

Holistic Health for Pets

Phone: (603) 630-4436

773 Tenney Mountain Highway
Plymouth, NH 03264

Business Hours
Mon, Wed, Thurs: 9am-5pm
Menu

Herbal Medicine

dog-472855_640Chinese Herbs have been used for centuries, dating back to 168 BC. In China approximately 80% of all traditional Chinese medical patients are treated with herbs, while only the remaining 20% are treated with acupuncture or other manual therapies.

Herbal formulas are typically composed of 8-12 substances, ranging from plants and minerals to animal parts and insects. Herbal medicine is distinct from medicine based on pharmaceutical drugs. Firstly, because of the complexity of plant materials, it is far more balanced than medicine based on isolated active ingredients and is far less likely to cause side-effects. Secondly, because herbs are typically prescribed in combination, the different components of a formula balance each other, and they undergo a mutual synergy which increases efficacy and enhances safety. Thirdly, herbal medicine seeks primarily to correct internal imbalances rather than to treat symptoms alone, and therapeutic intervention is designed to encourage this self-healing process.

Herbs are not expensive and generally run about $25 for a 50lb dog for a month.

 
Font Resize
Contrast